Storing Wind Power with Compressed Air
Storing Wind Power With Compressed Air
Find out how wind power can be stored and sold at times of peak demandwind | storage | newsWind power
suffers from one major problem - the wind is very fickle. If wind turbines
are to be a viable large scale replacement for coal- and gas-fired power stations, a way has to be found to capture and store the energy from the wind so that it can be put to use when it is needed, and not just when the wind is blowing.
from wind turbines is more expensive than that generated by conventional power stations, another benefit of storing wind power is that electricity can be exported to the National Grid at peak times of day when the price paid for it can be 2 or 3 times greater that at off peak times. This makes wind turbine generators financially viable without the need for government subsidies.
Compressed Air Storage
One possible solution to this energy storage problem is the use of compressed air
. When the wind blows during the night (when electricity demand is low), the electricity generated can be used to power an air compressor
. The compressed air can then be stored in the underground caves and caverns left from some forms of mining.
During the day when demand peaks (and wholesale electricity prices peak) the compressed air can be released through a turbine generating electricity. These caverns will effectively provide battery storage
for wind power.
The overall efficiency
of this system can be as much as 75%
. Although 25%+ of the wind generated electricity is lost, the remaining 75% is used at peak times thus reducing the number of conventional power stations needed to meet demand.
Existing Uses of this Technology
Although a compressed air energy storage
(CAES) system has not been tested commercially with wind turbines
, a 290MW plant in Huntdorf, Germany has been running successfully for over 25 years
storing excess production from a conventional power station so it can be sold at times of peak demand
. Compressed air is stored in engineered salt caverns, and when released can generated sufficient electricity to meet the needs of almost 300,000 homes. A second commericial unit was built in 1991 in McIntosh, Alabama with a 110MW
Other (conventional) sources of electricity could be stored in the same way further reducing the number of conventional power stations
required to meet peak demand is reduced.
The Future for CAES and Wind Power
As more wind farms
are constructed, and our dependence on the electricity they generate increases, energy storage
is going to become more and more important. In North Dakota
, the windiest state of the USA, Sirius Exploration
plan to create eight 16m (diameter) x 160m caverns (by potash
mining) which will be able to power a 100MW
turbine when filled with compressed air. A similar projet is being developed in Ireland by Gaelectric
with a cavern large enough for at least a 136MW
Pumped Hydro - An Alternative Technology
The other main alternative to compressed air energy storage is pumped hydro
- a very well established technology in which electricity generated at times of low demand is used to pump water from a low lake to a high lake. At times of peak electricity demand the water in the upper lake is released down through a turbine. Pictured above is the Sloy Power Station
which uses pumped hydro technology (and was constructed many decades ago).
Article Last Modified: 07:51, 9th Oct 2009
Comment on this Article
If you have any comments on this article, please email them to firstname.lastname@example.org
Recommended Related Articles
People who read this article also enjoyed the following articles:Wind Turbine Water Heating
Heat water directly using a wind turbine generator (with or without a battery bank)Article Last Modified: 13:21, 4th Sep 2008wind | heating | waterHard Disk Drive Magnets For Wind Turbines
Obtain super strong magnets from old hard disk drives to use in wind turbine alternatorsArticle Last Modified: 15:25, 14th Apr 2007windV3 Power Wind Turbine Building Workshops
Learn how to build a wind turbine generator with a V3 Power courseArticle Last Modified: 11:07, 10th Jul 2010education | wind | general